Sunday, March 16, 2014

Sunday

(Above Suspicion is pretty good.)

Yesterday, I took the family to a restaurant for dinner.  We had barbecue beef cooked over red-hot coals.  In Korea, the food is prepared right in front of the customers.  This particular establishment offers free soft drinks.  So I drank a gallon of pineapple Fanta.

I noticed something about my eldest boy James-uh.  He's turning into quite the little asshole.  He rude.  He's moody.  Plus he smells bad.  I suppose that's normal for a thirteen-year-old boy.  However, I'm beginning to understand why the Dragon Lady often feels the urge to kick his butt around the block.

Make no mistake.  I don't believe in corporal punishment.  But let's be perfectly honest.  Poor old Smith is a liberal pussy.  I'm against the death penalty.  I'm against abortion.  I'm against war.  I'm against violence.  Yada, yada, yada.  Perhaps I need to be more old school and give the kid a good crack across the mouth.  Trust me.  John Wayne wouldn't put up with his bullshit.  So why should I?  Being a parent is often very confusing.

We walked back to our Soviet-style concrete tenement.  I watched a British police show called Above Suspicion.  Limey melodrama usually doesn't float my boat.  After all, Smith is a brash Yank.  And I'm simply not smart enough to understand the sophisticated jokes.  Yet this series is quite compelling.  It doesn't have that supercilious Masterpiece Theater aura hovering over it.

I paid homage to the Christ God.  I said the Lord's Prayer on bended knees.  No big surprise.  It's not like I'm some filthy atheist. 

I went to bed at 10 p.m.  I didn't dream.  I woke up at 6 a.m. and drank several cups of coffee.  Then I read the paper while enjoying a bathroom break.  Four people were hacked to death with knives in southern China.  The government is blaming the murders on Islamic extremists.  I'm not surprised.  Muslims are crazy. They'll be the death of us all.

I walked five miles to church.  I need the exercise.  I'm a disgusting fat-body.  Our congregation has a band.  They played for thirty minutes.  After that, the pastor spoke about Jesus.  He's an evangelical Christian while I prefer liberation theology.  Nevertheless, he's a great guy who sincerely does the Lord's work.  I'm very fortunate to know him.

Anyway, it's time for the song du jour.  Here's All These Things That I Have Done by The Killers.  God bless.  

11 comments:

  1. Hmmm.

    Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children. Those who love their children care enough to discipline them.

    Just remembering from my hours i had to sit in church next to my parents till i was 17 or 18.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't have the heart to hit people. It's not in me.

      Delete
  2. When my sons became dicks I suspended privileges. Took away video games, friend visitation rights, or sports equipment. This seemed to work, fwiw. Young men start getting testosterone through their brains and its like temporary insanity. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jones. I'm gonna need lots of luck to keep my sanity.

      Delete
  3. Smith, you and I are opposites in just about every respect (save gender and marital status); but I just love your blog. Your style reminds me of Peter Sellers' character Chance in "Being There." Except despite your simple and blunt manner, I don't think I'm mistaken in thinking that you are quite insightful and intelligent! Please keep up the great work and know that your words have reached, and are being enjoyed by this Yank living way down under here in New Zealand. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts nearly every day--I look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all those kind words. I really appreciate the praise. God bless.

      Delete
  4. "Poor old Smith is a liberal pussy. "

    " I'm against abortion."

    does not compute

    conservatives like to kill defenseless peasants after they've staunchly fought for their right to be born.

    liberals prefer to do the deed a bit sooner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world has always been screwed up. That's because we're a fallen species. The only peace you'll ever know is through God. I shit you not.

      Delete
  5. Smoke rose from his nostrils; consuming fire came from his mouth, burning coals blazed out of it. — Psalm 18:8 NIV

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mighty Smith,

    I'm going to give Above Suspicion a try.

    I suggest you try a French police/legal show called Spiral (French: Engrenages). My wife finds it more disturbing than Criminal Minds while I find it more sophisticated because you have to read subtitles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give it a try. I'm always on the look out for entertainment.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Smith.