Monday, February 25, 2013

Monday

(Messi:  All the girlies love him.)

Yesterday, I walked ten miles through the rice paddies.  The weather was brisk.  But I enjoyed myself in spite of the cutting wind and cold temperature.  South Korea is a very noisy country.  Sometimes a guy just needs to get away from the bullshit.

I took the family to church.  Driving on the peninsula is crazy.  I usually say the f-word several times before worship.  However, I refrained from all bad language.  Poor old Smith is rapidly becoming a saint.  Soon baby birds shall land on my head.

I have a great pastor.  He's a proud member of the Ivy League Mafia.  The man graduated from Yale.  His mother is quite proud.

Nonetheless, he didn't bring his A-game.  Exodus 3 is exiting stuff.  He missed the connection between God's words on Sinai and Jesus addressing the Children of the Devil in John 8-58.  Oh well.  Nobody's perfect.

We went to McDonald's.  I had a Quarterpounder and French fries while the kids enjoyed McNuggets.  The Dragon Lady didn't eat.  Fast food ain't her thing.

I watched a show called Shameless.  The program features William Macy as a depraved alcoholic.  His family is an absolute mess.  I find the series fascinating in an anthropological sort of way.  Western society is crumbling.  Soon all of us white people will become slaves to Asia.  So let it be written.  So let it be done.

I paid homage to the Christ God.  I said the Our Father on bended knees.  I prayed in the bathroom.  My soviet-style concrete apartment doesn't come with a closet.  We hang all our stuff on racks and shelves.

I went to bed at 10 p.m.  I didn't dream.  I woke up at 6 a.m.  I drank coffee and read the newspaper.  There was yet another story about the famous Hispanic midget named Messi.  He's a soccer player from Argentina.  Messi must be the most famous man in the universe.  The girls love him.  

I turned on Meet the Press.  There's more fiscal drama afoot.  Sadly, I can no longer be bothered.  Let the sky fall.  Who gives a flying screw?

It's currently 2:45 p.m.  I'm killing time before the drive home.

Anyway, talk to you later.  God bless.   

6 comments:

  1. Yes it is funny he missed the Great I AM connection. Truly one of the most remarkable claims of Jesus's divinity ever recorded.

    Good catch on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of John's Gospel.

      Peace.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back, Smith. Good to read your mental wanderings again, which are both entertaining and thought-provoking.

    As for me, today I went over and chopped back tree branches on my parent's property, which overlooks Puget Sound. Views were spectacular, especially as the sun was going down. Then, just as it started getting dark out, I built a camp fire in a fire pit in the lower portion of their property. I was sitting there enjoying the fire, then turned around and noticed this big-assed full moon coming up over the woods behind me. Wow, talk about being close to nature. I was at peace.

    Take care bro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eric.

      I never used to appreciate nature.

      But now--like you--I'm starting to enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. Re: Nature -- I was reading a book by E.O. Wilson, the guy who came up with the theory of "sociobiology," which explains everything about human and animal behaviour better than religion, but that's another discourse -- and he pointed out what natural setting is most psychologically satisfying to a human being.

    The human should be on a slightly elevated location, with a view over trees and at least a little bit of water. That's because during the millions of years our distant ancestors were monkeys -- sorry Smith, but I believe science, biology and evolution explain everything -- the best place to be was in a tree where you could overlook the water hole. You could spot food, scan for predators like lions or other monkey interlopers, and you knew where your next drink was coming from. For thousands of generations, if you had those things, life was good.

    By contrast, it's only been for about 15,000 years that humans have known how to grow food, which has allowed us to have a population density that permits complex social organizations like nations. Millions of years vs. thousands of years -- which shapes our deep inner view of the world more, eh? But that's another discourse based on "Guns Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond. I'm in the middle of that book. It's amazing. I don't watch TV -- don't even own one any more, since my now-ex-wife took it with her, and I don't care to buy a new one. Books expand my brain better.

    Anyway, think of the scenic spots that are most attractive to humans. Niagara Falls, the slopes above Puget Sound as Eric mentions, all sorts of spots around Vancouver, which is an amazingly scenic city. They all have that height/trees/water thing going on that E.O. Wilson mentions. It's psychologically settling to our proto-human subconscious. It's why you appreciate nature. I often think the patients on the psych ward would do better if they could be in a natural setting, especially the schizophrenic street people and crackheads, instead of spending their days in a part of town that's covered in concrete and crawling with cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what to say.

      I'm speechless.

      I hope everything is going well in your life.

      Tell the loonies their Uncle Smith says hello.

      Peace.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Smith.